Salary: £55,000 - £65,000 + bonus and benefits
A leading software house, my client supports the UK financial services community thrive in an ever-changing market through making their operations more professional and profitable. They deliver this by continually developing a best-in-class, web-based business management system to help their clients compete and win.
Built specifically for the UK market, utilising extensive technical expertise coupled with years of experience of the UK financial services sector, the system delivers touch button market analysis and aggregates data through integration across multiple client platforms and plugins.
The company’s success is built on the commitment of its people. As trusted technology experts, they have a market reputation as dependable, hardworking and passionate about delivering the absolute best in business management solutions for our clients.
Excellence is encouraged through a strong collaborative culture where individual performance is recognised and team results rewarded. This drive has resulted in a quadrupling of size over the last five years, and securing significant investment from global backers.
An innovative, independent working environment and a first class benefits package is offered, including: 25 days’ holiday, pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance, income protection, discretionary bonus scheme and a variety of sports and social activities.
The Technical Operations team provides computing, technical and helpdesk support to the company, as well as maintains, develops and operates the SaaS hosting platform which hosts the company’s software for our customers.
Overseeing a number of mission critical data services – including a 3TB RAM/144 core/1.6m IOP 4 node SQL 2014 AlwaysOn cluster, Splunk and Tableau for business and operations data analytics.
Projects to be completed in the next year: scaling out Splunk and Tableau infrastructures and updating to SQL 2016.
- Maintenance of data servers to maintain best performance.
- Maintenance of monitoring tools and resolution of issues.
- Installing / updates of software (e.g. Windows, SQL server, Splunk Tableau).
- Ensure that the data environment is optimally configured.
- Overseeing application lead changes.
- Maintenance of clustering.
- Database design. Responsible for reviewing new database changes and packaging change scripts
- Performance monitoring/tuning (e.g. indexing, de-normalization, re-designing tables/stored procedures)
- Maintenance of a number of replication technologies.
- Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business’s Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
- Test backups to ensure we can meet the business’ Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Document the company’s database environment
The Database administrator will be the 2nd line of contact for requests or tickets related to the maintenance of our data services, escalating to other Operations team members as appropriate. This will include, but not be limited to:
- Obtaining approvals for change requests before passing over to relevant team members
- Capture and complete appropriate detail to ensure prompt resolution of incidents and completion of change requests
- Owning and troubleshooting technical issues
- Software installations
- Liaising and working with vendors to facilitate hardware and software fixes as required
- Windows Server 2008r2 / 2012r2 / 2016
- SQL 2012r2 or 2016.
- On-call troubleshooting experience with at least one production SQL Server for a year. You don’t have to be the only DBA or have DBA in your job description, but you should have been one of the people that the company would call if the database services stopped working.
- Working with developers to improve the performance of queries by tweaking or modifying indexes
- Ability to install software at scale (on multiple systems at the same time).
- Service Desk or case-logging software.
- Familiarity with Active Directory and NTFS permissions.
- Ability to demonstrate familiarity with the concepts of IP networking and firewalling.
- Understanding of security concepts.
- Tuning T-SQL queries to improve performance
- Understanding of programming, specifically .NET
- Working with source control
- Understanding concepts of NoSQL
- VMware vSphere, Hyper V or familiarity with Virtualisation concepts.
- Strong PowerShell or python scripting.
- Layer 2/3 Networking.
- Visual Studio development environments.
- Experience of Amazon AWS, Azure or cloud computing.
- Experience of operating PaaS database platforms on either Azure or AWS.
- Experience with other database platforms like MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience with NoSQL databases like CouchDB or Cassanda.
- Working with source control, particularly github.
- Windows Server, SQL server, Splunk, Tableau or other BI tools.
- CompTIA A+, Server+, Security+ or similar.