A leading software house, my client supports the UK financial services community thrive in an ever-changing market through making their operations more professional and profitable. They deliver this by continually developing a best-in-class, web-based business management system to help their clients compete and win.
Built specifically for the UK market, utilising extensive technical expertise coupled with years of experience of the UK financial services sector, the system delivers touch button market analysis and aggregates data through integration across multiple client platforms and plugins.
The company’s success is built on the commitment of its people. As trusted technology experts, they have a market reputation as dependable, hardworking and passionate about delivering the absolute best in business management solutions for our clients.
Excellence is encouraged through a strong collaborative culture where individual performance is recognised and team results rewarded. This drive has resulted in a quadrupling of size over the last five years, and securing significant investment from global backers.
An innovative, independent working environment and a first class benefits package is offered, including: 25 days’ holiday, pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance, income protection, discretionary bonus scheme and a variety of sports and social activities.
- To help shape, create, develop and evolve the architecture that underpins the company’s software products.
- To validate the architecture against the requirements of the software products and the corporate and technical strategies.
- To create models and component and interface specification documents for the architecture and articulate the architectural vision and realisation to enable teams to effectively understand and use the architecture to deliver business value.
- To prepare documents explaining the architecture to sponsors and stakeholders both internally and externally.
- To stay current with changes in the areas of technology and business and apply this knowledge to revise and update the architecture keeping it fit for purpose.
- To help ensure software delivery adheres to both internal and industry best practice.
- To participate in the accurate estimation, planning and delivery of the architecture and the products built using it.
- Ensure that the architecture enables the business to efficiently and rapidly deliver against the corporate and technology strategies.
- Be responsible and accountable for the design, development, delivery and support of the architecture software.
- Champion and guard the architecture and challenge propositions that weaken or compromise it.
- Identify and address architectural challenges.
- Agree technical priorities for the architecture.
- Design mechanisms to address cross-cutting system concerns such as reuse, integration and consistency.
- Specify components and interfaces in precise, unambiguous and actionable terms.
- Minimise disruption and maximise quality of any changes to the architectural software.
- Build trusted advisor status with developers.
- Understand what developers want and need from the architecture.
- Help developers see the value of the architecture and understand how to use it successfully via:
- Usage guidelines.
- Reference examples.
- Presentations – Formal and informal.
- White papers for external consumption.
- Evangelise our technology internally and in public technical communities.
- Understand and be able to articulate business and technology strategies.
- Help align the technology strategy with the corporate strategy.
- Help identify and investigate new technologies and product opportunities that could be used to generate competitive advantage.
- Help communicate the technical strategy in terms that are meaningful to the company’s technical community.
- Balance short term demands with the need to make progress towards long-term goals.
- Sell the architectural vision to developers and project and team members.
- Drive (and enforce) developer adoption of best practice use of our architecture.
- Involve people in decision making to engender enthusiasm, ownership and personal commitment. Make credible decisions for the team when needed (when insufficient time or consensus fails).
- Excellent developer with a quality agenda
- Clear communicator both written and spoken
- Ability to pick up new technical skills with relative ease
- Technical problem solver
- Able to make technical leaps finding novel solutions
- Excellent mentor
- Ability to Prototype/experiment/simulate
- In depth understanding of the pertinent technologies:
- Microsoft .NET framework
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Excellent understanding of development methods and modelling techniques
- Proven track record of applying testing, refactoring and patterns to produce high quality software.
- Able to move forward in the face of uncertainty recognising that backtracking may be necessary
- Comfortable working at a high level of abstraction yet able to work at a detailed technical level.
To apply, forward a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org