A leading software house, my client supports the UK financial services community thrive in an ever-changing market through making their operations more professional and profitable. They deliver this by continually developing a best-in-class, web-based business management system to help their clients compete and win.
Built specifically for the UK market, utilising extensive technical expertise coupled with years of experience of the UK financial services sector, the system delivers touch button market analysis and aggregates data through integration across multiple client platforms and plugins.
The company’s success is built on the commitment of its people. As trusted technology experts, they have a market reputation as dependable, hardworking and passionate about delivering the absolute best in business management solutions for our clients.
Excellence is encouraged through a strong collaborative culture where individual performance is recognised and team results rewarded. This drive has resulted in a quadrupling of size over the last five years, and securing significant investment from global backers.
An innovative, independent working environment and a first class benefits package is offered, including: 25 days’ holiday, pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance, income protection, discretionary bonus scheme and a variety of sports and social activities.
The four person DevOps team provides continuous delivery pipelines for numerous services and webapps. Primary concerns for the DevOps team are Continuous Integration and deployment, alongside writing infrastructure code to deliver software quickly and reliably into a SaaS platform
They are seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer who has extensive automation experience and a clear understanding of key DevOps practices and concerns.
The role will consist of maintaining the current Continuous Delivery pipeline, automating deployments, building new pipelines and researching new technology and ideologies to improve and further our current pipeline.
The DevOps team also exists to foster good practices and spread DevOps methodologies amongst other teams in the company such as QA, Development and Operations.
DevOps Engineers require a solid grounding in Continuous Integration and Delivery practices. They are also required to have a good understanding of distributed systems, and must be able to think quickly on their feet to solve problems as they arise in a fast moving environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the successful operation of infrastructure, which will include, but is not limited to:
- Ownership of key elements of the Continuous Delivery pipeline.
- Design, delivery and maintenance of software delivery pipelines.
- Design, delivery and maintenance of deployment automation.
- Act as a technical authority and reference for platform related issues, including escalations.
- Creation and automation of documented IT procedures and processes.
- Evaluation of new technologies and processes with justification to allow effective decision making for stakeholders.
- Providing mentoring and knowledge transfer to colleagues
Essential Technical Skills
- Microsoft platforms including Windows Server 2008R2 / 2012R2, IIS 7/8.
- Experience using and operating in AWS or similar.
- Understanding of the use of version and source control systems - Git preferred.
- Proficient with Linux
- Working knowledge of at least one configuration management system – Ansible preferred but Puppet, Chef or Saltstack fine as well.
- PowerShell scripting experience.
- An additional scripting language such as Python, Ruby, Perl or bash – Python preferred.
- Experience writing Java / Groovy code OR experience writing Jenkins Pipeline DSL.
- Basic relational database knowledge – SQL server preferred but MySQL or PostgreSQL fine
- Experience configuring and operating a loadbalancer or webserver running Nginx, Apache or HA Proxy
- Sound knowledge of CI/CD and DevOps concepts.
- Sound networking knowledge
- Basic Linux and windows command line familiarity. Must be able to operate OS with a shell.
- Ability to use and quickly understand a wide variety of opensource and proprietary tech and adapt quickly to change.
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service.
- Familiar with Microservice architecture and concepts
- Familiar running distributed systems (tracing a call through the network stack etc)
Desirable Technical Skills
- Experience using F5 Load balancer products.
- Experience with containerisation, especially orchestration aspects.
- Experience with service discovery tools eg Consul, Etcd, Zookeeper
- Commits to an opensource project
- Experience with a monitoring tool eg Splunk, Prometheus, Icinga/Nagios
- NoSQL experience eg Couchbase, Elasticsearch, Redis
- Automated UI Testing (selenium based tools)
- Experience writing code in C# or Maintaining C#/.Net systems
- Familiar with Agile Scrum methodologies
Desirable Training and Knowledge
- Linux qualifications
- AWS qualifications
- Windows qualifications
- Degree level education in computer science or related discipline; or more than 5 years' experience in an IT infrastructure role.